Friday, February 29, 2008

Nocturnal Noodlings

Right then, here are some night-related shots. Here's a picture of a nocturnal bat that Jess, one of my professors, caught in a bat trap. We measured its forearm length, fed it some honey water, and then set it free. I got to keep one in my shirt (in its bag, of course) to keep it warm. They loose body heat really quickly when they aren't flying.

For this one, I saw the light coming from the moon coming through this tree and decided to take a long exposure. For some reason this picture looks great on my computer but really bad on the CRS's lab computer... really dark. Basically, if it looks bad to you, I'm sorry, but I really like this picture.
Same deal. This is a picture of the stars, but it looks completely black on my screen in the lab. Oh well. You can see MILLIONS of stars out here on a clear night. It's exactly like when I went out to the Canyonlands a couple of years back... really incredible. When you're away from light pollution, you really can see how ancient people found pictures and characters in the stars... there was just so much more to work with before the electric light came into play! Anyway, sorry if you can't see them. I tried.

More to come! Next: My adventures in Chillagoe!

No comments: