Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cane toads, leeches and giant spiders

I'm still here! I've decided I'm going to upload pictures or die trying. I've had to scale them down to 50%, but they'll still look ok (I think). It's true what they say... there are a ton of cane toads in Queensland. Like a lot. I'm writing a paper about them right now based on a very poorly organized experiment, and it's not going so well. Right now I'm trying to correlate (poorly) cane toad size and where they've been caught... I guess we'll see how it turns out in the end. On the plus side of things, the food here is great. I've only just realized that if I had gone to another university, I wouldn't have the home cooked meals that Iris lovingly prepares for us daily. So good.

So. Leeches. Where do I begin? There are a ton. They are little black monsters that move like inchworms along the ground until they reach your shoe. They have sensors on their butt that they use to find you by tasting the carbon dioxide, pheromones and body heat you put out. They crawl up you until they can find a bare patch of skin. Often that'll be your foot or your leg, but you can get unlucky. Some of my friends have found them in underwear. My friend Caroline found one in her buttcrack today, and another girl had one attach to her EYE the other day. Not only was it ridiculously difficult to remove, it left a pool of blood in her eye, and she now doesn't go outside without putting on goggles. Freaky, eh? I actually haven't been bit by one in a few days... I'm lucky (knock on wood). Anyway, when they attach to you, they don't like to let go until they're full of blood, at which point they just drop off. Creepy.

No comments: