Hello again from San Francisco! So, I made it to Golden Gate Park to see what all the fuss is about. So far as I could tell, the fuss is generally about it's size. It's huge. Like six miles long. Jesus. Anyway, I found my way to the flower conservatory (see pictures) which was nice. Some of the rooms are crazy and climate-controlled and stuff... very cool. A couple of times I had to dash out of the room to protect my camera from the computer-controlled mist showers they use to water the tropical plants every half hour or so. The vast majority of the most beautiful flowers were orchids, though there were cool pitcher plants and stuff like that. See for yourself!

Pitcher plant. These things fill up with water and attract flies and other insects with a sugary sap just below the edge of the rim. Millions of tiny hairs on the rim point down toward the water, and an insect that ventures too far within the plant cannot escape. Some of these things grow so big that rats fall into them and drown. Mmmm.


The Flower Conservatory.







No comments:
Post a Comment