I took some time to get my effects in order and plan my return home. I visited the internet café and bought a "Federal Witness Protection Program" shirt at the thrift store (~$1.50... they don't call it a thrift store for nothing). I'm dangerously low on funds, so I decided to forgo a zipline canopy tour in favor of the means to eat for the next two days. I relaxed and updated my journal, took a long over-due shower (hot water was working... wow) and slept for a while.
By the time we were ready to "be real people again" (this is a common Wesleyan University term amongst my friends and myself), it was the late afternoon. We headed over to La Panga for some fish and chips. The name of the restaurant had become something of an inside joke over the past few days. Strangely enough, Poutine (french fries with cheese and gravy) was on the menu, clearly displaying the Canadian influences to culture in the area.
We enjoyed fried calamari and fish and chips, admired the interesting seafood-themed murals on the wall, and danced in our seats to the excellent music that was playing. Life was good.
Shortly after, we decided it would be a good idea to go for dinner... again. We had heard a lot about the local Parilla fare in the area, but hadn't tasted it yet. Walking down the streets we came upon a large outdoor barbeque piled high with different meats and tortillas. Basically an under-the-table temporary restaurant operation, Parillas are popular with locals because they serve a ton of food for very little money. We soon found ourselves in front of huge plates of steak, chicken, pinto gallo, rice, tortillas, and cabbage. Yum. We left full and happy.
Night fell and we visited Republika for some buckets of rum and coke (~$4 each) and some cards. It was a silly night, and we ended up at Iguana's.
No comments:
Post a Comment