Thursday, November 26, 2009

Graduation from Wesleyan; Summer Research 2009

I would prefer to focus this blog on my adventures, and while the following events may be more exciting than the lives of some, I'd like to summarize them briefly instead to of including the details of the more mundane aspects of my life.

Spring break finished all to quickly, and we all went back to school. Things continued much as they had before break... I continued work on my documentaries, continued having fun with friends, continued to photograph most everything I saw. I finished all of my schoolwork, and the end of the year ratcheted up into a massive celebration for the seniors. Everything came in a blur; my final a cappella concert, end of the year parties, and finally, graduation itself. All to rapidly my closest friends began to pop out of existence, and I wondered if I had fully appreciated my undergraduate years. Perhaps I should I have done things differently. Perhaps I missed out on meeting many people that would have enriched my life manyfold. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

Without resting I immediately began my field work. Caterpillar sampling is one of my favorite times of the year... full time work in the field, hot and dirty, insect bites and myriad discoveries in the form of interesting fungi and unique forms of weevils and other small creatures. Best of all, the wonderful people I worked with. Mike, Izaac, the two Joshes... they were awesome, of course. It's a funny thing that happens to people who work together in the field. Inside jokes and little skits pile up quickly, and by the end of the season we basically create a new language to speak to each other. Like crazy people. Very hard to describe, but incredibly fulfilling.

Oh to live and work in the natural spaces of the world, to explore and capture what little we have left. It's my dream above all else.

Field season came to an end, and after a frenzied rush to enter an analyze date for the Hughes presentations, we were finished. Time for me to leave...


An opportunity had arisen for my sister and myself; a wedding was to be held in Chennai, India, and we had been invited. Not ones to pass up a grand adventure, we began planning our big trip...



No comments: